Monday, September 13, 2010

A Very Good Day


Despite the fact that I have the flu and that Greg is away, I have to say that today turned out to be the BEST  day.

I awoke to kisses and cuddles from Ashiah who was in a very good mood. We got to school on time and for the first time, she didn't cry and was happy to take her teacher's hand and go into class. It was wonderful!

I came home, did some work and then went to bed for several hours to ward off this flu. I awoke to a sun filled room and the silhouette of the trees across a blue sky outside my window. Then my Dad called just to check in and tell me he loves me. I went outside, sat in the garden with my coffee and fed my Chippie Chip (chipmunk) and today he let me pet him. When he was done filling his face, he climbed my back and sat on my shoulder and we enjoyed the swaying flowers in the warm breeze together.

At 4:00 I picked up a very happy little girl who was so proud of her school day. Two of her teachers came to greet me and shared stories of Ashiah's fun filled day and it warmed my heart. We came home and I made a fabulous authentic pasta dish with fresh basil from my garden and Ashiah and I shared an al fresco meal together. As she inhaled her meal, Ashiah came up for air long enough to say "Thank you Mummy for making this yummy pasta supper."

Then the Chippie joined us and a very delighted Ashiah hand fed and pet him and then we jumped and frolicked together on the trampoline awhile. Then we went for a walk to see the chickens up the road - well I walked she sat on my shoulders. We then capped the evening off by sitting on the dock and watching the lightning streak across the sky in the distance over a mirror-like river. Sitting in the stillness and enjoying such beauty with my beautiful daughter filled me with peace and gratitude.

After a bath and talking to Daddy on the phone (he's in Edmonton), we read a story and Ashiah fell asleep without a fuss, but not before I thanked her for having shared such a wonderful day with her. Her response was the best: "Thank you too Mommy, I had a lovely day too. I love you." It doesn't get any better than that.

I am the happiest woman alive tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And it's not even over yet. Maybe the flu will begone b/4 dawn. Love/T.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that Sam... it's amazing how the simple things in life can make all the difference in the world. Enjoy your little one each and every day... I have come to learn they are priceless and couldn't live without em!