Saturday, March 29, 2008

an "overnight" stay...

Last Sunday, we went to Toronto for an "overnight" stay to see Greg's Dad who was in from Dryden. And of course we were packed for an overnight stay. We used hotwire.com to book our hotel as we usually do and stayed at the Renaissance. Once there we realized that by the time we'd spend some quality time with Grandpa that we wouldn't be on the road till early evening and that would mean that Ashiah wouldn't sleep once home so we opted to stay an extra night. We "hotwired" our hotel again and ended up at the Hilton. Then Ashiah got sick for the first time with crazy diarrhea and vomiting. Poor thing, she was such a trooper, didn't even cry after she projectile'd all over mommy and we had to hop into the shower fully dressed.

Now it's Tuesday and Greg has to get some work done before we can leave. Once done we stop to eat and now it's late afternoon, a snowstorm begins and the windshield wipers break. We manage to find a garage and set ourselves up in a nearby coffee shop for several hours. The car finally repaired we now face driving in a snowstorm and Ashiah wouldn't sleep the night once home again. So we opt to stay for 2 more nights because Greg's sister happens to be coming into town the following night and it would be good to see her. Now in need of fresh clothing we quickly run to the mall for a 1 hour shopping spree and book ourselves into the Sheraton for 2 nights - which by the way had the best service. Ashiah has survived on a bag of clothing I had in the car to give away - although mostly too small for her, we managed.

All the while, Ashiah's still sick and I take her to a local clinic that says we've done all the right things (pedialyte etc.) and not to worry it will pass. We finally set off for home Thursday afternoon, it's sunny, everyone's in a good mood after a fun family dinner the night previous, Ashiah's doing better and all is well. We stop off at a roadside eatery for a snack. Big mistake.

About 15 minutes later I begin to feel very nauseous. I already suffer from bad car sickness and I'm in the backseat because Ashiah was upset. I ask Greg to pull over at the Kingston exit so I can hurl. 4 stops later, we haven't left Kingston, I'm still vomiting, extremely weak and suddenly can't feel my limbs. Greg brings me to hospital where I'm admitted. I can't even stand at this point and am still vomiting so I can't hold Ashiah who's now screaming for me in the adjacent room the hospital provided for Greg and Ashiah to stay in. I have to say, they were some of the kindest nurses I've ever encountered other than at Ashiah's birth. But regardless, it was a nightmare - hearing my baby scream and not even being able to move a muscle to get to her. It was awful. Poor Greg was trying everything but this time not even Daddy could calm her. The second nurse who tended to me could see that despite the heavy medication they gave me to sedate me I was fighting sleep and I started to cry because I wanted my baby. So they brought her into the bed with me and I nursed her and we both fell asleep.

Then Greg began to feel ill. So he was off to bed too. They diagnosed me with food poisoning and dehydration. Oddly enough however, we found out that Grandpa has also been ill so I wonder if the food might have set off a dormant virus given to us by baby? Who knows. Anyhow, the hospital we found actually closes and they had to either transfer me to the bigger one around 6am or they offered to find us a hotel where we could try and rest and return if we didn't improve. With baby and the threat of various viruses in hospital, we opted for the hotel - the Peachtree Inn I think it was and there we remained till earlier today. Greg felt better yesterday and went out for some baby food and jello and popsicles, I remained in bed. Greg was so wonderful despite feeling very ill himself - it was so hard to look after a baby with both of us sick in the hotel and I suddenly really longed for our own mothers. But Greg's such an amazing Daddy, I am so very proud of him and love him so very much. We are lucky to be such a very special tripod :)

And now we're home and having all napped again when we got in, we're all up at this ridiculous hour and Ashiah won't sleep till much later not to mention that her original very difficultly attained 10pm bedtime is now down the drain. So moral of the story is we should have just come home Monday night I guess - how ironic!

No comments: