Wednesday, May 28, 2008

My life in a Network Diagram

How is it that you can't wait for one stressful thing to be resolved only to realize that you now have to face another more stressful thing?

I swear to gawd I'm developing an ulcer, or a stomach tumor, or maybe it's irritable bowel syndrome, or maybe it's just another bloody thing to stress about.

So I got the job. Yippee right? Not. I am officially supposed to start in August. But they need me to come in sooner to go through a few things and to teach my first course. Great! I'll make as much money in one day as I would in two weeks on EI. Yippee, right? Wrong.

I'm in over my head. What the hell was I thinking? For the past year my life has been about tending to my baby's needs, dirty dishes, diapers, laundry, floors, running errands, well you get the picture. It has not been about project management - well that is, not in the professional sense. Yes, this is the course I'm slated to teach to 15 unsuspecting students. Can I use motherhood as an example of my project management skills? I can just see myself building a network diagram that outlines tasks to reach milestones, mine being "managed to shower", "showered and brushed my teeth before bed", "ate a warm meal", "ran 3 errands in one day", "had sex", "fit into pre-pregnancy clothes". "Now class, please outline all the tasks involved to reach each of those milestones." I can picture the blank faces now.

Oh and might I add that Ashiah isn't weaned yet - my goal is one year, or 2 weeks before I officially start work- so for now I'll be pumping over the lunch hour which is a better alternative to suddenly leaking milk through my blouse in front of a class of government employees. I can just hear the unsuspecting woman who walks into the washroom and wonders what the vibrating noise coming from one of the stalls is. Nice.

Can you say "aaaaagggggghhhhhh" with me?

No comments: