Friday, April 11, 2008

Sleepless in Seattle

I haven't slept in 4 days. No that's not true. Technically I slept for an hour in the underground parking lot in the car this morning when we arrived here in Seattle. Greg had a meeting first thing so we left Vancouver at 7am after my 4th sleepless night, got here, bought a stroller in about 10 minutes and headed for Greg's meeting. We arranged to call each other at 12:30 but low and behold he found Ashiah and I in the car where he'd left us in the car park at just that time. I banked on the fact that Ashiah just kept sleeping and curled up into an uncomfortable ball across the two front seats of our rented Matrix.

Aside from lack of sleep, I suffer from ridiculous motion sickness and after having sat in the backseat with Ashiah for half the drive feeding and entertaining her, I was terribly nauseous and dizzy. I think Greg said "and there's the Space Needle" and I was about as excited about that as I would have been had he said to look at a lamp post. All I want(ed) was(is) to sleep - sleep - sleep. I've also become quite adept at breastfeeding while leaning over her car seat. Smashing good fun watching the looks on drivers faces as they see me most uncomfortably hunched over my child, boob hanging out, my face pressed near the window with a "u better stop staring if u know what's good for u mister " look. But what's pride when faced with a screaming child while stuck in a moving vehicle?

After having lunch at an exquisite Asian fusion restaurant (highlight of the day) Ashiah and I are now holed up in the Crown Plaza while Greg is at another meeting because I have no desire to go and check out what seems like quite a lovely ocean-side city right now - I'm just sitting here waiting for my daughter's next nap. Not to mention I don't want to use the new stroller since we're going to return it for the pink one. I ridiculously reasoned that we couldn't get the funky brown and pink one because who knows if we might have another baby one day and it might be a boy. But even if that were so, then we'd have to chuck this stroller whether it were pink purple or green because we'd need a double since there's no way we're having another kid in like 5 years when Ashiah will likely always walk on her own. It's either in the next 3 or c'est tout.

Do mothers with 2 kids ever sleep actually? Is there a secret mother cloning operation out there I'm not aware of? She just fell asleep. Gotta go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

no. we don't sleep. i get all giddy and boastful when i get at least 4 hours of consecutive sleep. i kid you not. good thing i don't have to operate heavy machinery, but then again i do have to chase 2 kids all day. hmmmmmmmmmmmm, now if i can only teach them how to make me coffee in the morning ( and a cocktail at around, say noon )things would be brighter.