Thursday, April 17, 2008

West Coast is where it's at

I woke up feeling rather sorry for myself today - lack of sleep I guess, falling down the stairs last night and maybe breaking my toe (who knows), bored and lonely with Greg at his conference, my family back in Victoria where I just spent a couple days, my phone being broken, my plans for tonight being canceled, stressing about what the hell kind of job I'm going to find come June and dealing with a very cranky PDA (Princess Dictator Ashiah) - her new name while she cuts her top two teeth this week.

I was faced with an exciting new day of finding G diapers (a great enviro travel diaper btw) which were apparently carried in a store about 20 blocks away on foot and finding a cell phone store. En route I happened across a very funky consignment shop called Bohemia and tried on some tres fun clothes. Bought a top cause the lady said it showed off my waist and since I've been without one for the last 9 months this cheered me up some. As I continued along with only a light jean jacket on, taking in the smells of Spring and the myriads of Magnolia trees, Hyacinth flowers and perfectly manicured lawns I suddenly happened upon a movie shoot with about 30 crew members having lunch on the sidewalk, cameras and gear everywhere, a fenced in set - pretty cool considering we never happen upon movie sets around Ottawa.

I finally made it to the food store I'd been referred to and it happened to be a Whole Foods chain - a store I fell in love with in Washington. We simply have nothing like it back home and why that is I don't know. Everything in this perfectly manicured store is exquisite, organic and wonderful. It makes Loblaws look like a Food Basics.

And then en-route home I went through this fabulous neighborhood called Pleasant Park and met a very lovely lady who owns and personally restored the 4 first heritage homes in Vancouver and she opened the gate to show me the grounds in behind. Simply gorgeous. I actually fell in love with the little gingerbread house on the opposite corner, complete with vine covered trellis' along the little paths up to the door - currently for sale for a cool 2.5 mil - my little dream of buying it quickly shattered. But the lady was lovely as was the man with her who wrote the book on Vancouver's heritage homes and he gave me a quick history. I've been invited to come back and show Greg if I like.

All in all, I came back feeling much better than when I set out. And a fun cap to the afternoon was Ashiah waving at all the pedestrians - her royal wave as my Aunt Di put it this week.

Okay SpongeBob Square Pants is not entertaining PDA so gotta go.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Sounds like a fun walk! Houses in Vancouver are SOOOO expensive, but it sounds adorable from your description! See you soon!